Saturday, 5 December 2009

First Session (22/10/09)

It was our first session with the boys at Block D and I was filled with trepidation because it was the first time I will be doing voluntary work at a boy's home and I could not wait to know how the boys are like and what games will be in store for us. We were brought into their classroom and waited for the boys to come. I could not really remember most of the volunteers' names as it was just my second time meeting them so we minger around and introduced ourselves (again, haha)

The boys came in shortly. I could tell that some were going to be loud while there were some who were rather shy and withdrawn. We then introduced ourselves to get ourselves warmed up. It was pretty interesting and funny to hear the "imaginative" names that they have given each other like "Roti","Noti", etc. Hahah..

We started the games by playing Whacko ( in a more innovative way ), and it was definitely effective because after the round of introductory, my poor memory was still unable to note down every single boy's name. And the Whacko game helped me remember their names better. It was great to see everyone enjoying themselves too.. I laughed alot the whole time during the game as it was really funny to see everyone's reaction when they want to say a name out but just could not remember.

Then, we played this game called " Guess who's not there " ( Okay, i named the game myself ). Someone will have to sit on a chair back facing everyone and one person will leave the room, that someone will then have to guess who's not there. I enjoyed myself thoroughly during this game too. I got to see the cheeky side and the funny antics that the boys' displayed during the game when trying to take a peek at everyone.

We then finished off the games and said our goodbyes..
I was super glad that the boys enjoyed themselves and was able to get to know everyone of them a little better, including the volunteers. I would definitely say that the boys were responsive to the games and us and this made me more excited to my next session with them! I had truckloads of fun and laughter during my first session cum supper amongst us volunteers. :)


-Julia :)

No comments: