Friday, 16 December 2011

It's Thursday!

Firstly, I would like to say that I am very blessed to be a part of Block D because all the nicest people I've met in NTU are mainly congregated in here :) Today's session had been a rather meaningful one. Unlike the usual 'mass session' where everyone sits in a circle and engage in a particular activity planned, we had the opportunity to know and understand the boys better as we were split into smaller groups to interact with them.
During briefing, we were told by Kelvin that today's activity was mainly to play card games and then maybe chat with the boys after the games. I was assigned to teach the angry bird card game and the boys that were in my group were very fascinated by the cute graphics on the card. Although the game was a little childish as it was designed for kids, they did not complain and tried their best to play it well. I had an enjoyable time teaching them as they were intent on learning the rules and strategies well in order to win their friends.
After the games, I had a chat with one of the boys and found out that they actually really look forward to such sessions with the volunteers as life in boys' home is routine and boring for them. I also realised that they do look upon us as role models and would take our words seriously. This made me feel that we can really make a difference to their life and we should grasp the little time we have with them to offer them good advice and encourage them to excel in their studies or life. This has strengthened my resolution to attend more sessions so as to get to know the boys better and perhaps make an impact on their life :))

Swing!

No comments: