Monday, 27 February 2012

The Spirit of Volunteerism

Everyone is unique and different, yet we all still able to come together as one. All of us are from different faculty, different ages, different background, different gender, but we have one thing in common that bring us together and commit ourselves weekly to a strong passion we have in us.

The bonding session at ECP last weekend was an eventful one. Being away from Singapore last semester as I was on student exchange programme, I do feel that I need to step out and interact with the rest within a shortest period of time as possible. Seeing how everyone appears to be very friendly and approachable made me once again feel warm and glad to be back home. This further reinforce my view that the common belief we have in Block D, is the strong SPIRIT OF VOLUNTEERISM.

Weekly session at the Boys' Home was something for me to look forward to. Part of what impressed me deeply during the session was the opportunity in warming up to them and getting to know each one of them better. Although I had prior experience in leading youths in various orientation programmes and events, but this group of youths needed more effort in handling them. It was not easy to get them started on completing tasks when they feel unfamiliar with the environment and the people. However, I enjoyed the challenge of capturing their attention and these sessions provided us an opportunity to train in maintaining the engagement of a group. They required more guidance and prompting from us in carrying out various tasks. After every session, I gained a better understanding of them and hopefully in the next coming session we will be able to see a greater change in them.

RSP Youth Block D.
Joan

No comments: