Friday, 7 January 2011

bLk 'D' cAmP

Attending the Block D Camp was probably the most meaningful way to end off 2010!! Honestly, I was a little insecure at first, not knowing what kinda behavior to expect from them, whether we’ll be able to get along etc etc. After all, it was a whole bunch of energetic boys im gonna be dealing with, and being a GL the responsibility falls on me to lead the group. My boys in Bolt were really diverse characters with different temperaments and talents. They really like to wander and disappear ALOT, so im like a mother hen trying to find my little chicks all the time LOL. It was a little awkward at first, slowly learning how to communicate with them through observation and interaction. It's much easier to get them to open up when speaking one-to-one and I was consoled and sincerely happy when through the conversations I see their repentance and willingness to work hard and make amends. Honestly, the boys are really adorable; they like to act tough and pretend they don't give a damn, but deep down I see their sincerity. So touched when Don brought us a plate of chicken wings n cuttlefish balls during performance practice! It’s these small kind acts that show that these boys may appear aloof but actually care for us too. I felt so proud of them when we performed The Reason and You Belong With Me together, though they were so shy (unlike during the practice; stage fright perhaps). When things have to be done they do cooperate to get it done, and I’m so glad I had a group who loved to win so much. For every single game they told me we gonna win it. Love the fighting spirit!! =D

It was a hectic and tiring camp; the games were meant to tire them out, but we got exhausted instead! They guys are really sporty and fit! NTU guys lost by a landslide during tug-o-war with them! Disgrace! LOL. I had a really fun time playing the games with the boys; hadn’t indulged in such fun sports since orientation camps! Soccer, captain's ball, volleyball, frisbee plus the circuit games and dirty games and wet games. Never-ending action all day long!! The boys really enjoyed playing (and winning) and it was through the games that they really exhibited team spirit and support. They kept their spirits high even if we lost, always determined to win the next game. A couple of my boys seemed tired out with the non-stop activities but they recharged real fast and participated enthusiastically
J


The camp changed my views about the boys at the home; previously there wasn't much interaction, but through the camp I got to know their personalities and tempers better. Learnt how to banter with them, and the ways to coax and persuade them. The guys are indeed very rowdy, but you can tell that behind their facades they lack self confidence, being really shy to display their talents. It isn't that they are bad or rebellious; a lot of them were unlucky to meet the wrong crowd and made bad decisions. Some of them committed crimes out of impulse; some have tempers that need greater control. I’m heartened to see a lot of them wanting to study to at least achieve their N Levels, and that many of them want to pursue their education further. I wish the society could see that these boys aren't hopeless; they just need guidance and time to grow up. Humans are susceptible to biases, and I once stereotyped them too, though now I’m thankful for the chance to change my perceptions. Some of the boys are leaving the home soon, and I share their joy in that. Really hope that they'll stay on the right path and have a bright future ahead!

~Xiangyi~

No comments: